SendCardMessage questions

Paul D. DeRocco pderocco at ix.netcom.com
Tue Mar 2 02:07:54 EST 2010

1) Does this require a freshly allocated string as its first parameter,
which Revolution takes ownership of and eventually deletes? Or does it copy
the data out of it, in which case the caller would have to delete it if it
was dynamically allocated?

2) What context can this be called from? I would assume you couldn't call it
from inside a hardware interrupt handler, because it would probably do
something (allocate memory perhaps?) that's not legal inside a hardware
interrupt handler. But how about in the context of some device driver
thread? In particular, on Windows I'd like to call it from inside a MIDI
input callback function, which isn't called by the main application thread,
but isn't called in an interrupt handler either, so I assume it's a called
by some thread associated with the device, or some multimedia thread in
Windows.

2) What card does the message get sent to? The main stack's first card? Or
does it depend upon what card is visible? What about if a dialog box is
open?

Thanks in advance.

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco