fonts: what is a "point" in Linux/Gnome?

Peter Alcibiades palcibiades-first at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Mar 1 21:36:15 EST 2010

Well, they are an interesting set of links!

It sounds like Ubuntu is now shipping their version of Gnome with too large
defaults, at least for some people, and that this can largely be dealt with
by correct choice of theme and fonts. Also that the size of the system bits
does not adjust for the monitor resolution, so if your monitor is larger or
smaller than the Gnome default design, you'll have to do this.   Or is this
misunderstanding the situation?

One of the postings suggests seeing what the difference is between the
xdpyinfo resolution and the gnome resolution is.  In my own case, Debian
Squeeze, no tweaking with these parameters, xdpyinfo gives 101 x 101 dpi,
whereas gnome (which I don't use except very occasionally) gives 96.  That
is odd.

But still and all, and independently of this, there is a problem with Rev,
and it seems, only with Rev, and it does not seem to be Gnome related,
because its identical in Fluxbox, which I use all the time  In Gnome just as
in Fluxbox, start up Rev, and you seem to be presented with fonts sizes in
the dictionary and in the menu bars of a size which, to get the same size in
all other applications, you'd have to use 6 or maybe even 4 point.  I can't
see any difference in this whatever the window manager.  So maybe this is
something Rev is doing in Gtk?  And if so, why on earth are they doing it?

Richard, are you noticing this too?  That the ide and dictionary are so
small as to be almost unusable in Linux?