use-revolution Digest, Vol 77, Issue 71

stephen barncard stephenREVOLUTION2 at barncard.com
Mon Mar 1 15:39:47 EST 2010

>>> DON'T spend money on Mac Software; once you have the machine and the
>>> operating system
>>> pretty well everything else should be FREE.

Good advice for some ...That's not a realistic or practical goal for those
who use their computers for more than word processing and web access..

In many cases the commercial versions are still better, or provide a
workflow is more efficient. Also many of the open source software offerings
seem to not look or work like real Mac applications.

After working with the Sun Virtualizer, I still prefer the hand-holding and
stuff 'that just works' in VMWare's paid Virtualizer. And there is yet to be
found any open source audio and video editing software that nears the Mac
experience of Final Cut or Logic. This is the stuff I use every day.

And then there's Cyberduck - open source FTP client - that blows away
everything I just said.

I just don't think it's good advice to give to anyone - "Don't spend any
money on software" - especially to a group of programmers!!