fonts: what is a "point" in Linux/Gnome?

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Mon Mar 1 14:40:10 EST 2010

On 01/03/2010 21:25, J. Landman Gay wrote:
> Peter Alcibiades wrote:
>> Jacque, I don't understand this either.  You gave me the suggestion a
>> while
>> back, and I did install xfs, but it made no difference.
>>
>> The thing I don't get is why all the other apps work fine, but Rev
>> does not. Is there not someone in the development group who could
>> just tell us how Rev
>> handles fonts in Linux?  There must be someone who knows, and if he
>> or she
>> will just tell us, we can probably figure out how to work along with it.
>
> Page 18 of the User Guide lists the requirements for running Rev in
> Linux. It mentions "xft". I don't know what difference one letter
> forward in the alphabet makes, but maybe you do... It also mentions
> Pango.

'Tis true: I looked.

There is mention of quite a few things . . .

Now how does:

1. One find if these things; Pango, Xft, and so forth are present in a
system?

2. Are we naive to assume that they would be installed on all current
linux distros (probably,
especially as mplayer is not installed by default.)?

The "lovely" thing about this is that on Mac one can use RunRev and its
standalones straight out of
the box.

With Windows one might need to install Quicktime (nor unduly arduous).

With Linux one has to do quite a bit . . .

Which is why the Linux version of RunRev is still a bit dicky.