Ideas to simulate a multithreaded sockets server

Marcio Alexandroni marcio at cialogica.com.br
Mon Mar 1 06:18:30 EST 2010

Hi,

I made some progress on this topic and I think I Rev+CGI can do the job.

While waiting for revServer, I decided to try CGI with Rev to see if it fits
my needs. Of course, I had to use the 3.5 standalone engine, as v4.0.0 does
not include the standalone engine anymore.

First of all, I searched for a multiplatform, tiny,
easy-to-install-and-configure web server on the market. Of course there is
Apache, but I found "Abyss Web Server" by "aprelium"
(http://www.aprelium.com/abyssws/). There is a free version for personal use
and for commercial use it's only $59. It supports Windows, Linux, Mac,
FreeBSD.

The web server setup is easy and done with the browser, I just had to add a
new interpreter, set the executable to the Rev standalone, set the "-ui"
argument and the "irev" extension for the "RevLets" and now I can access the
"RevLets" with the "irev" extension direct from the browser. I didn't have
to set any permission for the file.

I needed database access to PostgreSQL, so I just had to point the directory
where revdb.bundle and dbpostgresql.bundle (Mac files) are located in the
"set the externals of this stack" clause.

I built a Rev Stack for common functions and used the "start using" clause
in the "RevLet" and now I can create the logic all in the Rev Stack, with
source code protected!

I was using "vi" to edit my files and I was not happy with it, of course...
Then, last night Stephen Barncard (thank you!!!) released the Rev colour
syntax for coda, now my work seems to be complete!

All seems to be working fine, I can move on and try the connections on the
PDAs, then rewrite my application logic on the PDA to communicate through
HTTP and see what happens.

When revServer comes up, I think I can move without deep changes, as the
"RevLets" are Rev!!!

Regards,

Marcio Alexandroni
www.cialogica.com.br