Help with drill-down script

Peter Brigham MD pmbrig at gmail.com
Mon Jun 21 16:00:37 EDT 2010

Just a cursory scan through your handler, without an exhaustive
parsing of the logic...

On Jun 21, 2010, at 10:17 AM, Emmett Gray wrote:

> Sorry for the long post. I've now got the last of my currently-in-
> use HC stacks running in Rev, so I'm finally retiring HC/
> Sheepshaver. This last stack was huge, a labor of love for 20 years.
> It's an address book whose feature set has not been matched by a
> commercial application.
>
> Anyway, there's one feature: the first card is an index of all the
> cards in the stack. In HC, all you need to do is start typing and as
> you add letters, the selected line changes to reflect what you've
> typed. When you get to what you want, you hit return and that takes
> you to the respective card.
>
> Anyway, it's not working in Rev. What happens is, it selects the
> first line with the first letter you type, but stalls there. Then,
> if you hit return, it does nothing, just sits there. And if you wait
> and start over, it doesn't respond. to that either, the original
> selection remains. You have to clear that selection to get it to
> start over.
>
> I don' have any idea what to do.
>
> The relevant field properties in Rev are shared text, lock text,
> vertical scroll bar, list behavior.
>
> Here's the HC script:

... snip ...

>        if the visible of the message is false then -- so it's
> available when needed

... snip ...

if you mean the message box, the syntax you are using doesn't work in
Rev, generates an error

> [...]
> 1) Smart synchronization: if the copy at the office gets a new email
> address and the same person at home gets a new cell phone number,
> both are kept and the card is flagged and put in a list. You can
> deal with it later, like when you next go to that card which shows
> the dates of both new entries, or go through the list if you want
> 2) Parsing of clipboard data, from v-cards, email signatures and the
> like, when making new entries.
> 3) A "Business" checkbox which then alphabetizes business names
> phone-book style, ignoring and initial "The" etc.
> 4) Auto-capitalization; you don't have to hit the shift key when
> entering names. It's smart, knows about "de" and "von" etc.
> 5) One-click or keystroke phone dialing, via a modem, Skype out, or
> Skype-to-Skype (if there's a Skype name in the Notes field).
> 6) Envelope printing of 4 different  custom styles (size, return
> address)
> 7) Sifting to create subsets (Christmas card lists, European
> contacts, email addresses, etc.) for export in CSV or tab-delimited
> format
> 8) Smart printing of Filofax-style pages (no entry broken over a
> page; print one side, turn the stack over and print again, all comes
> out in proper order)
> 9) Ability to change the spelling or capitalization of a name, then
> automatically moved to where it belongs as needed, and have the
> corresponding Yellow or White pages version auto-updated.
> 10) Hidden "Filed as" field to override the default alphabetization,
> useful for names like "van Beethoven" - filed under v or b?
> 11) URL launching (grabs the first or selected email or web address)
> and file/app launching such as Word templates,  with the appropriate
> info (name and address) in the clipboard
> 12) Unlimited delete and restore of cards (until you quit).
> 13) Name conflict resolution: If you have a John Smith entry, and
> make a new John Smith card, you get an alert that he's there
> already. You can delete the new one, the old one, or keep both
> 14) A database of national and international area codes so if you
> have an unknown phone number you can see where it's probably located
> 15) And of course it relies on HC/Rev's brilliant "Find" so you can
> for example type a first name and a state abbreviation or city name
> to find someone whose last name you don't remember, but you know
> where they live
> 16) Customizable abbreviations expanded on address data entry: ny
> expands to New York, NY and de expands to Germany, but only if
> followed by a space (or nothing) and must be the first characters of
> the last line in the address field.
> 17) Phone numbers corrected to be in a standard form (dots &
> parentheses replaced by dashes). US numbers get 1- in front, other
> countries get their country code - you can use the abbreviations
> used in the Address field such as de for Germany to enter the proper
> country code so you don't have to remember it.

Sounds like a handy tool...

BTW, how do you do the skype dialing? I'm interested in that.

-- Peter

Peter M. Brigham
pmbrig at gmail.com
http://home.comcast.net/~pmbrig