Performance

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sun Jun 20 07:12:04 EDT 2010

On 06/20/2010 01:11 PM, Mark Schonewille wrote:
> Hi René,
>
> Quoted strings can't be interpreted as variables by the engine (as
> long as quoted strings aren't numbers used as names for objects). For
> me, this is the main reason to always put strings in quotes (besides
> the fact that strings with spaces in them will cause errors if there
> are no quotes around them).
>
> The number of characters of variables doesn't matter. Longer variables
> and object names just make your stack file slightly bigger. The effect
> is negligible.
>
> Fast compilation is not the same as fast running. Compilation time is
> negligible, the only noticeable delay may come from the time needed to
> read a file from disk. Of course, long repeat loops and generally bad
> scripting may cause delays too.
>
> RunRev compiles your scripts when the stack file opens. As long as you
> don't edit your scripts, it won't compile them again (with a few
> exceptions, e.g. if you're using the "do" command).

I got in trouble recently with an enormous script I stored in a field
(thousands of lines) on the
understanding (false) that things were more economical like that rather
than duplicating the
script across 15 buttons. Because the script was stored in a fld it had
to be compiled dynamically everytime
it was needed by a "DO" command; but it DIDN'T, so DON"T store scripts
in 'funny' places and DON'T
use "DO' commands; they are very nearly fatal except for little1 or 2
liners - at which point the 'economy'
argument collapses.