The selection caret position

Jeff Massung massung at gmail.com
Sat Jun 19 11:02:19 EDT 2010

On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 1:28 AM, J. Landman Gay <jacque at hyperactivesw.com>wrote:

> Jeff Massung wrote:
>
>> Is there a way for me to specifically tell Rev where within the current
>> selection the "caret" or insertion point actually is?
>>
>> My problem is that Rev always does it's damnedest to keep the current
>> insertion point visible within a field. So, if I were to select line N of
>> some field in code, then the field would scroll as for to the right as
>> possible (when I don't want it to). Similarly, if I were to select a bunch
>> of lines, Rev will always scroll the field down to the bottom, when
>> sometimes I actually want it to stay at the top of the selection.
>>
>> Is there some way for me to do this?
>>

> After selecting, you should be able to set the field's hscroll and/or
> vscroll to whatever you want.

Ya, tried that and it doesn't work for me.

To give an exact description of what I'm doing, I have an editor. On the
left is a gutter for line numbers, etc. If I drag along the gutter I select
full lines in the editor. If the mouse Y extends beyond the top of the
gutter I scroll the editor up, if it extends beyond the bottom of the gutter
I scroll it down.

If I scroll down, there's no problem. Everything works beautifully. But, if
I scroll up, no matter what I do it will never scroll the editor field up. I
can put the scrolling before the selection or after the selection is made.
Either way if confines what's selectable to a single "page" of the editor.

Jeff M.