How to launch an application (like "word" from a stack?

Andre.Bisseret Andre.Bisseret at inria.fr
Sat Jun 19 07:43:05 EDT 2010

Le 19 juin 10 à 12:40, Peter Brigham MD a écrit :

> On Jun 18, 2010, at 4:31 PM, J. Landman Gay wrote:
>
>> Peter Brigham MD wrote:
>>> Yes, I forgot about the "show all file extensions" preference. I
>>> have it off, but when I turn it on and look in my Applications
>>> folder in the Finder, all of the other apps now have ".app"
>>> appended, but "Microsoft Word" doesn't. Neither does Powerpoint or
>>> Excel.
>>> And when I try
>>>  answer file "Pick an app:"; put it into a;put a
>>> I get, eg, "/Applications/Calculator.app" no matter what the
>>> Finder settings are but I also get "/Applications/Microsoft Office
>>> 2004/Microsoft Word" no matter what the Finder settings are as well.
>>> ???
>>
>> Sounds like you have version of Office that's so old, the apps
>> aren't OS X bundles. I didn't think those would run any more. If
>> you right-click on Word and you don't see "Show package contents"
>> in the menu, then it isn't a bundle.
>
> Ah, that's what's happening. Thanks for clearing up the little
> mystery. There are so many times when I think, "That's funny, I
> wonder why it's like that" about something -- especially computers
> -- and usually I have to move on without my curiosity being
> satisfied. Every little tidbit like this helps me delude myself that
> I actually am beginning to understand a little....
>
> -- Peter
>
> Peter M. Brigham
> pmbrig at gmail.com
> http://home.comcast.net/~pmbrig
>
> "There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know
> nothing about."

Then, I think you are more and more knowledgeable ;-))

I am a retired researcher and all along my working time I experienced
the same. As soon I learned something new about a subject, I
experienced the same increase in the number of things I was not
knowing about it

Thanks a lot for your contribution to this thread

André