How to launch an application (like "word" from a stack?

Peter Brigham MD pmbrig at gmail.com
Sat Jun 19 06:40:53 EDT 2010

On Jun 18, 2010, at 4:31 PM, J. Landman Gay wrote:

> Peter Brigham MD wrote:
>> Yes, I forgot about the "show all file extensions" preference. I
>> have it off, but when I turn it on and look in my Applications
>> folder in the Finder, all of the other apps now have ".app"
>> appended, but "Microsoft Word" doesn't. Neither does Powerpoint or
>> Excel.
>> And when I try
>>   answer file "Pick an app:"; put it into a;put a
>> I get, eg, "/Applications/Calculator.app" no matter what the Finder
>> settings are but I also get "/Applications/Microsoft Office 2004/
>> Microsoft Word" no matter what the Finder settings are as well.
>> ???
>
> Sounds like you have version of Office that's so old, the apps
> aren't OS X bundles. I didn't think those would run any more. If you
> right-click on Word and you don't see "Show package contents" in the
> menu, then it isn't a bundle.

Ah, that's what's happening. Thanks for clearing up the little
mystery. There are so many times when I think, "That's funny, I wonder
why it's like that" about something -- especially computers -- and
usually I have to move on without my curiosity being satisfied. Every
little tidbit like this helps me delude myself that I actually am
beginning to understand a little....

-- Peter

Peter M. Brigham
pmbrig at gmail.com
http://home.comcast.net/~pmbrig

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know
nothing about."