pop-up cascading menus

Terry Judd tsj at unimelb.edu.au
Wed Jun 16 00:44:50 EDT 2010

On 16/06/10 1:59 PM, "Gabel Paul" <paulgabel at comcast.net> wrote:

> Dear List members:
>
> On a Mac with Rev 4.0, it appears not to be possible to have cascading menus
> in an option button/menu. I can have them in a pop-up button/menu, but it
> doesn't look anywhere near as nice. I tried superimposing an option button
> over a pop-up button and sending a command to the pop-up, but that won't work
> either. Does anyone know of a work-around so that I can have option's looks
> with pop-up's functionality? Also, WHY can't the rev team create an option
> button with cascading menus? Thanks for all advice.

Probably because it contravenes HIG 'rules' ;)

However, if you really want to go down this path then you could try the
following...

# create an option menu with its text sent to empty (let's call this btn
"option")
# create a popup menu with its text set to your cascading menus (let's call
this btn "popup")
# set the script of btn "option" to the following...

on mouseDown
   popup btn "popup" at the bottomLeft of me
end mouseDown

# set the script of btn "popup" to the following...

on menuPick pItem
   set the itemDel to "|"
   set the label of btn "option" to last item of pItem
   -- add routines related to menu selection here
end menuPick

You might want to fiddle with the location at which the popup btn appears a
bit (try adding a pixel or two to the y co-ordinate).

HTH,

Terry...