So you CAN build an OS X app from another system...

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Jun 12 17:37:05 EDT 2010

Mark Schonewille wrote:

> I've seen your posts on this subject several times now and I never
> thought it was a real problem. I have now actually done a test on Win
> XP, building a standalone on a PC, zipping it and copying it over to a
> Mac OS X Leopard machine. The standalone runs fine. Under which
> circumstances doesn't the standalone run exactly?

You're right; my recipe was incorrect in noting the Zip step.

The original problem I had to solve was for an installer that needs to
be able to build standalones for all platform onto a USB drive.

Zipping does work from Windows, which is what I'm doing now (with a note
to the user that they have to unzip it; a drag, but I can't find a way
around that.

The cool thing I found last night was that I can build Mac standalones
on Linux that can be copied directly without needing to be zipped.
(That is, until Steve Jobs finds out and then adds something to the OS
or its license agreement to prevent that.)

This opens up new options for me to consider a Linux laptop as my main
portable, whereas before the anomalies of OS X had previously required
me to stay locked in to Apple products.

I'd still keep a Mac along with my Windows machines for testing, but
being able to consider this shift in my workflow feels quite liberating.

@Richmond:  looking over the variety of bug reports around the 'net
related to fonts on Linux, I'm not certain the issue you're experiencing
can be solved by Rev alone.  It may be, but it's worth noting that
different apps show greatly differing sets of fonts on Linux, and I
don't know of any IDE that also takes care of bundling fonts for you.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World