So you CAN build an OS X app from another system...

Mike Bonner bonnmike at gmail.com
Sat Jun 12 08:31:56 EDT 2010

On the subject of creating *nix builds from windows I had a thought.

How difficult would it be to setup a virtualbox linux setup with a
simple script.. or even a rev app, that you feed a folder to, it will
copy it in to the linux virtual, set the execution bit zip it up, and
copy it back out into the windows file system?

Or if one prefers, if hfsplus is installed, a script like the one
here. http://confluence.concord.org/display/CCTR/Creating+MacOS+dmg+files+in+Linux
could be used to create dmg files. If nothing else, its easy enough to
set the execution bit by hand as well as zip everything up, so the
only real requirement is to setup the linux virtualbox. DSL is tiny,
resource efficient, and runs great.

On Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 3:31 AM, Richmond <richmondmathewson at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 06/12/2010 12:28 PM, Mark Schonewille wrote:
>>
>> Richard,
>>
>> I've seen your posts on this subject several times now and I never thought
>> it was a real problem. I have now actually done a test on Win XP, building a
>> standalone on a PC, zipping it and copying it over to a Mac OS X Leopard
>> machine. The standalone runs fine. Under which circumstances doesn't the
>> standalone run exactly?
>>
>> --
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Mark Schonewille
>>
>> Economy-x-Talk Consulting and Software Engineering
>> Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com
>> Twitter: http://twitter.com/xtalkprogrammer
>>
>> Economy-x-Talk is always looking for new projects. Contact me for a quote
>> http://economy-x-talk.com/contact.html
>> Download Clipboard Link http://clipboardlink.economy-x-talk.com and share
>> the clipboard of your computer over the local network.
>>
>> On 12 jun 2010, at 04:32, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>>
>>> ...if that system is Linux.
>>>
>>> Earlier here we discussed the difficulty of making Mac builds from other
>>> OSes, and at the time we were focused on Windows.
>>>
>>> I just ran this simple test on Ubuntu 10.04:
>>>
>>> 1. Make a Mac standalone
>>> 2. Zipped it
>>> 3. Copied the Zip file via USB drive (FAT16, FWIW) to my Mac
>>> 4. Unzipped it