Shell Command with Sudo

Justin Sloan justin.sloan at us.army.mil
Sat Jun 12 03:53:03 EDT 2010

Thanks to all who replied. With you help and some additional research
I came up with a solution.

Mac OS X bash shell only allows results from commands to be piped in
to another command, including sudo, not plain text. The solution is to
set a bash variable (pw=password) and echo the variable to pipe it
into sudo (echo $pw | sudo -S command). In Rev you must set the
variable and pipe it in on the same shell() call. Like this:

shell("pw=" & tPassword & "; echo $pw | sudo -S command")

Works like a charm, and it's an elegant solution without a lot of
hashed code. I have not tested this on other Unix based systems but
the command should work on any system with bash as the default shell.

Happy coding!
 - Justin