Linux question / problem

Peter Alcibiades palcibiades-first at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jun 11 05:48:18 EDT 2010

>From memory, as I don't run Gnome any longer, having moved to Fluxbox or
ion2.

First create your link on the desktop or in the task bar.

In the task bar, right click, then when you get to the add application
window, take custom application, give the full path as prompted - or browse
to the application.  On the desktop, right click, create application
launcher, giving the path in the same way.

In each case you should then be able to right click on the launcher, and
select properties.  If you then click on the icon, you will be able to
navigate to where your own custom icon is (presumably in the folder where
your app is located) and select it.

If you do this with an app that has been installed through the package
manager, you'll find that it auto selects the right icon.  I don't know how
this binding works.

Your app will be unusual, in that its icon will not be stored in any of the
usual places, which are /usr/share/icons or /usr/share/pixmaps (in Debian,
they may be someplace slightly different in Fedora).  If you want to create
an iconned desktop link during installation, I think you will have to do it
in the install shell script.

Peter