Abysmal Sound on Windows?

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Fri Jun 4 19:55:59 EDT 2010

Anyone have any secrets for playing audioClips asynchronously with event
messages (not other sounds) on Windows?

Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems the audio capabilities of Rev are
getting worse.  I have a stack with a bunch of large image buttons that is
supposed to play a short click sound upon mouseEnter on the buttons,
combined with visual feedback of the button slightly enlarging.  The stack
works relatively flawlessly on OS X, but moving it over to Vista, it seems
that playing audioclips is essentially locking up mouseEnter until the
audioclip has finished, and the buttons respond like they're swimming in
molasses.  Disabling the sound playback causes the buttons to respond
normally.

I tried moving the sound playback into its own handler and using "send
in..." to play the audioclip (with the hope of achieving semi-asynchronous
playback), but the molasses behavior is the same.  I tried using a player,
which allows the buttons to respond normally to mouseEnter, but it takes a
good second before the player starts and the sound plays!  Tried restarting
the entire system -- no change.

Any other options I can try?  Is my only option to disable audio feedback
for the Windows platform?

I've been harping on Rev's (lack of) audio support for years, and I thought
I was playing it safe by avoiding players and using imported auidioClips.
It seems I was mistaken.  Apparently Rev can't even handle playback of
simple sound effects without bogging down to near non-usability.  [sigh]

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, UX Design