OT: Mac vs Win partisanship is unnecessary

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Fri Jul 23 15:14:41 EDT 2010

> That doesn't come as any surprise to me. Photoshop has long topped the
> list of most wanted proprietary programs on Linux users' wish list.
> You may be wondering why this is so since Linux already has GIMP (Gnu
> Image Manipulation Program), which is also a very strong image editing
> program.
>
> There are several reasons. The first is that Photoshop users tend to
> be Photoshop users first and foremost: the operating system is
> secondary. Another reason is that there's an entire software
> eco-system of Photoshop add-on programs that serious Photoshop users
> expect to have at their beck and call. Last but not least, there are
> major differences between Photoshop's MDI (Multiple Document
> Interface) and GIMP's SDI (Single Document Interface). While GIMP will
> add support for SDI in GIMP 2.8, in the meantime, moving from
> Photoshop to GIMP as your primary image-editing platform is very
> difficult.

Well; there are a number of answers to that one:

1. Adaptability is a tremendous skill.

2. I find that where GIMP falls short, SUMO is now filling the gaps:
http://www.sumopaint.com/home/

3. Inkscape does rather a good job re vector graphics.

Or, put it another way; even if I had the largish sum of money to buy
Adobe Creative Suite, I am not convinced
that its is THAT much better than supra!