OT: Mac vs Win partisanship is unnecessary

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Jul 23 14:33:40 EDT 2010

Richmond wrote:

> "there's such a dearth of software for the platform"; I find that
> hard to accept.

I've been spending a fair amount of time in recent months reading the
Ubuntu forum, and a fairly common theme I see there is "Where can I find
an app like <someWindowsAppName> for Linux?"

Of course in most cases there's an answer for that, often for some
package in the Ubuntu Software Center or almost as conveniently
accessible.  But sometimes not.

I find the same thing with Mac OS, and to some degree even on Windows.
Indeed, I suspect that's why most of us are here:  we make software
because we can't find the one we want already made.

Of the three platforms Rev currently supports, Windows has by far the
largest variety of software available.   But even there I find many
opportunities for new products, as I do on Mac.  With the Linux world
being the younger and least evangelized of the three I find even more
categories there with either few strong competitors or none at all.

Consider also this tidbit in a blog a couple months ago in
Computerworld.  While it focuses on Adobe products, there's a message
there for all software publishers to consider if they're using tools
that make it as inexpensive to deploy to Linux as Rev does:

--------------- from Computerworld -------------------

Ubuntu wants Adobe, even if Apple doesn't

I recently suggested that, given Apple and Adobe's growing war over iPad
and iPhone applications, it would make sense for Adobe to move not only
its end-user applications, but its Creative Suite development stack, to
Linux. While I don't know if Adobe is considering it, Canonical, the
company behind Ubuntu Linux, would welcome Adobe.

Canonical marketing manager Gerry Carr told me that "in a recent survey
we did of the Ubuntu User base where we got 32,000 plus responses, Adobe
Photoshop as a potential application for Ubuntu got a 3.52 rating out of
5 being the second most popular potential app after Skype."

That doesn't come as any surprise to me. Photoshop has long topped the
list of most wanted proprietary programs on Linux users' wish list. You
may be wondering why this is so since Linux already has GIMP (Gnu Image
Manipulation Program), which is also a very strong image editing program.

There are several reasons. The first is that Photoshop users tend to be
Photoshop users first and foremost: the operating system is secondary.
Another reason is that there's an entire software eco-system of
Photoshop add-on programs that serious Photoshop users expect to have at
their beck and call. Last but not least, there are major differences
between Photoshop's MDI (Multiple Document Interface) and GIMP's SDI
(Single Document Interface). While GIMP will add support for SDI in GIMP
2.8, in the meantime, moving from Photoshop to GIMP as your primary
image-editing platform is very difficult.

Carr added, "More interestingly 12000 people gave suggestions for apps
we had not suggested...."

<http://blogs.computerworld.com/15991/ubuntu_would_welcome_adobe_to_linux>

--
  Richard Gaskin