confirmed recipe for linux copy & paste trouble...

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Jul 22 13:32:45 EDT 2010

Peter Alcibiades wrote:
> -- revPrintField needs to work properly - permit font choices and formatting.
> This is a major hassle, what you would be able to do with it, you're instead
> obliged to  export the file and then hack around in awk or something
> similar.

Should be no need.  As long as the engine can handle the printing, all
that remains is tweaking the revPrintField scripts.

I've had occasion to poke around in them before, and would be willing to
explore a fix for them.

Are the details of what's not working included in the RQCC report, and
what is that #?

> -- virtual desktops, ie the ability to put different windows of the app on
> different desktops and work with them there and have them stay put.  This
> isn't a big deal for Richmond, but it is for me, its how I work.  And any
> regular Linux user will be nonplussed about not being able to do this.

This one will likely require an engine change to fix completely, but
given the recipe for success I posted here a few days ago it may be
possible to find a scripted solution to help in some cases, possibly
with the IDE as well.

In that earlier post I had some questions for you:

     I just ran another test and found something VERY interesting:
     if you close MC's toolbar you can move windows independently
     across different desktops!  Success!

     So now one of us needs to try to pin down exactly what the
     difference is between the working and non-working states here:
     is it the order in which windows are opened?  Their mode?

     If you have time to make a standalone to experiment with this
     the results will likely be invaluable for fixing it.

     I generally keep all my Rev windows in one desktop, so this isn't
     a big issue for me, but if you have time to help diagnose this
     the success I found with MC's toolbar closed suggests we might
     be able to find a relatively simple fix for this.
<http://mail.runrev.com/pipermail/use-revolution/2010-July/143074.html>

Forgive me if you've already posted the answers, but I missed them if
you did.

Have you had a chance to experiment with this to pin down exactly what
causes this in some Rev setups but not others?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation