How can I direct revGoURL to a specific browser?

Jim Ault jimaultwins at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 22 02:05:23 EDT 2010

On Jul 21, 2010, at 10:02 PM, J. Landman Gay wrote:

> On 7/21/10 4:52 PM, Bill Vlahos wrote:
>> Jacqueline,
>>
>> My Rev app is working great and doing exactly what I want. The
>> problem is the web page only works in IE and I have no control over
>> what browser the user has set as their default. If it isn't IE, then
>> the page doesn't work correctly.
>>
>> It is the page itself that doesn't work in Firefox.
>
> I see. There isn't much you can do. Some web developers still write
> IE-specific pages that no other operating systems can view, and a
> good chunk of the Windows population can't see those either. About
> all you can do is rewrite the web page so it doesn't use IE-specific
> elements. Most sites are doing that now, as they should.
>
> --
> Jacqueline

You aren't specific about what does not work (menus, images, layout,
javascipt, etc) but you are entering the land of cross-browser
compatibility.  You are not specific about which IE version.

Very few people like the idea that a particular app (such as IE) is
launched by a program.  Many would suspect phishing or other nefarious
actions are taking place, much like their bad experiences with the
annoying pop up window marketing tactics.

If you use JQuery or other javascipt library, you have far less
worries about which browser and which version.  It would handle all
versions.

Another drawback to designing for IE is that every version makes
substantial changes.
Solution:  Your web code will instruct the user's browser to download
the JQuery and CSS files that you specify.  This means when IE 9 rolls
out, all you need to do is update the JQuery library file on your
server and you are covered for all versions of all browsers.

A very complete documentation and corrective action tutorial is on http://quirksmode.org
  but be warned, it is a complex subject.

Hope this helps,

Jim Ault