On the Invariance of dateItems

Gregory Lypny gregory.lypny at videotron.ca
Wed Jul 21 14:56:25 EDT 2010

Hello everyone,

I think it's cool that we can do date calculations using simple arithmetic on the dateItems.  But I don't think I understand the sentence in the comments section of the dateItems' dictionary entry that says that dateItems are invariant to a user's settings (not sure whether the entry's author meant system or some Revolution setting).  If I store date data, such as Wednesday, July 21, 2010 1:47 PM, in a field or a custom property of a stack, it will be represented, except for displayed format, by that date and time regardless of the user's system or Revolution settings.  If the date is displayed in a field, it may appear as 2010-07-21 1:47 PM for one person,  7/21/10 1:47 PM for another, and 21/7/2010 13:47 for yet another, but they are all the 21st day of July, 2010.  However, the results of calculations done with it will depend on the time zone in which it was recorded and the user's time zone, and unless those are known, the calculations are meaningless.  I think the Internet date format is the only one that is invariant.  Am I off on this?

Gregory