revServer Configuration

Mike Bonner bonnmike at gmail.com
Tue Jul 20 13:16:31 EDT 2010

Someone correct me if I have any mis-steps here but:

You shouldn't need to set the variable unless you you change the
hierarchy of the revserver folders.

There is a folder that contains revserver and its supporting folders.
Copy all of those (not the holding folder) to
/Library/WebServer/CGI-Executables

To set it up to use with the system web address
(http://the.address.here) rather rather than user space
(http://the.address.here/~username):
Edit the /etc/apache2/httpd.conf file.  If you look for the line that
says ScriptAliasMatch it should already contain an entry for the
CGI-Executables folder, so that part is done.
Locate the section that starts out with <Directory
"/Library/WebServer/Documents">
Inside that section make sure the Options line has ExecCGI tacked on to the end.
Near the bottom of that section add the 2 following lines
AddHandler rev-cgi .irev
Action rev-cgi /cgi-bin/revserver
Finally, find the line that says DirectoryIndex. It should already
list index.html. add index.irev so that it will auto parse an
index.irev file if a folder sans specific file is looked for.
restart the webserver. Easiest way is in system preferences, sharing,
take the check out of web sharing, wait a few moments then put it back
in.

at this point, to enable it in a userspace, change into /etc/apache2/users
there should be a file username.conf
edit that file.
same deal, make sure that ExecCGI is tacked on to the end of the
options line, add the addhandler and action lines from above and save
it.  No need to worry about the directory index.
when done, restart the server again.

All this is assuming yours is setup with the same structure as mine,
but even if its not should be possible to figure out what is where by
reading the conf files.

And sorry the formatting isn't very good for this, don't have much time atm.