[OT-Rodeo] Last minute call to get onboard with pre-realase conditions!

David C. davidocoker at gmail.com
Tue Jul 20 10:32:38 EDT 2010

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 8:42 AM, Jerry Daniels <jerry.daniels at me.com> wrote:
> David,
>
> Sarah is sound asleep in Australia at the moment, so I'll see if I can answer that for you.
>
> All transfer does is translate revTalk into Rodeo definitions. Rodeo server then translates those definitions into HTML/CSS. Until our Deploy Anywhere feature becomes available later in the month, those pages can only be viewed in Rodeo. With Deploy Anywhere, Transfer might be valuable for the sole task of making pages out of cards.
>
> We were thinking at first of making Transfer a separate product, but the market for it is extremely small compared to Rodeo, so it would carry a price tag above the $100 USD range. And then it would demand extra attention for support, questions, feature requests, etc. The reason Rodeo is maturing so quickly is because we are focused. We decided Transfer would be a distraction we could not afford.
>
> You can get Rodeo with Transfer for $89 (for another 16 hours) and be able to copy your HTML from the Rodeo editor. That would seem to be a reasonable solution for you.
>
> Best,
>
> Jerry Daniels

Thank you for the additional info Jerry... I'm almost ready to grab my
wallet, I think. ;-)
But first, let me make sure I understand this fully.

In a nutshell:
The $89 special gives the user 1 year of the service, plus a Mac
editor for both Rodeo and Transfer if they own the hardware. The Rodeo
editor version is or will be capable of producing either or both
native X-code and webkit applications.

Without the proper hardware, the user still has access to Transfer,
which has a somewhat limited web based editor (Safari/Chrome) that can
be used regardless of the hardware platform. No such option exists for
the Rodeo side of the equation. (?)

> You can get Rodeo with Transfer for $89 (for another 16 hours) and be able to copy your
>HTML from the Rodeo editor. That would seem to be a reasonable solution for you.

Other than making sure the rest on my understanding is correct, that
is the only *real* question I have left... did you really mean to say
that Rodeo (not Transfer) also has a web based editor that can be used
without Apple hardware?

In either case, for the $89 special, webkit based apps can be built
and hosted from the Rodeo servers for a period of one year before
requiring a renewal. The only end-user requirement for the hosted
webkit apps is a webkit based (Safari/Chrome) browser... which means
that in theory, they should be functional on any platform that has the
correct browser.

Hopefully I haven't butchered that too badly with my present understanding...

Best regards,
David C.