RunRev Script Editor and Linux

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Jul 17 13:16:39 EDT 2010

Peter Alcibiades wrote:

> They're a small outfit with limited resources, and to some extent we are in
> this together.  I agree, its not optimal, but rolling up our sleeves is
> probably the way to make progress.  Maybe there should be some buyer caveats
> around the Linux version marketing materials also, to manage expectations.
> We have to give it a shot and see how Rev manages to respond.  Here's
> hoping.

Well said, Peter.

I would not advocate anyone spend time on this if it's not inherently
worthwhile for them.

For myself, I have a significant investment in the Rev engine and a
growing investment in Linux, so it's well worth my time to do what I can
to improve things on that platform.

If anyone else's needs are similar, by all means dive in and let's do
what we can.  But if not there's nothing wrong at all with just waiting
for the fixes to come to you.

Rev isn't an open source project per se so the motivations for such
things are indeed different than they would be for a FOSS project.

Just the same, if you believe it's worth your time then there's a lot we
can accomplish working on this together.

I know it's become a bit of a cliche, but the definition of the word
"ubuntu" is relevant here, translating from the Bantu to mean roughly,
"I am who I am because of who we all are".

Nelson Mandela explained Ubuntu well:

    A traveler through a country would stop at a village and he
    didn't have to ask for food or for water. Once he stops, the
    people give him food, entertain him. That is one aspect of
    Ubuntu but it will have various aspects. Ubuntu does not
    mean that people should not enrich themselves. The question
    therefore is: Are you going to do so in order to enable the
    community around you to be able to improve?

One excellent example of the spirit of ubuntu at work in this Rev
community is Andre Garzia.  There are many others as well, but Andre
comes to mind immediately because of his consistent generosity of
donating code for the benefit of the community.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World