Personal suggestion for fixing the Linux situation

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Jul 16 09:30:34 EDT 2010

Richmond wrote:
> The other one that "gets a bit much" is that the Dictionary is glacially
> slow.

I've seen this as well, but inconsistently.  It may be the way they're
parsing XML, or perhaps something in the timers, either in the way they
use them in scripts or in the engine.  Don't know quite yet, and haven't
spent much time looking into it since I use my own dictionary (the one
in MC IDE) which doesn't use external files at all but instead has
everything built into its cards ("know the engine, trust the engine, use
the engine" <g>).

Have you tried Björnke's BvG Docu?:
<http://bjoernke.com/?target=bvgdocu>

It works similarly to MC's, and is much more responsive than Rev's.  It
would be helpful to get your feedback on comparative performance.

>> I'm prepared to do serious work on this, but am not capable of writing
>> patches to the IDE myself, and before getting started on the project, would
>> welcome comment, and would like us to have an agreed approach, so what do
>> you all think of the above?  It would also be nice to have some feedback
>> from Edinburgh, to the effect that given contributions from us, they will
>> do their bit also.
>
> Seems to me that Richard Gaskin is doing the intermediary stuff.

To clarify, I'm happy to do what I can, but I certainly don't mind
anyone else doing the same.  I don't use the Rev IDE often but I do read
a fair bit of its code, so I have a feel for "where the bodies lie".  If
we can come up with good solutions for improving Rev's IDE I'm willing
to provide code review and see what can be done for two results:

1. Immediate: Make a patcher to mod the IDE to use the fix.

2. Longer-term:  Submit the code to RunRev for review and possible
inclusion in the IDE.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World