RunRev Script Editor and Linux

Bob Sneidar bobs at twft.com
Thu Jul 15 19:51:49 EDT 2010

Let me tell my experience with Linux. We have an digital door key system that runs on Linux. When we got it it was stable as a rock, but over time, with various system updates and server updates, we started getting more and more problems until one day the digital key server simply would not start up.

After a day or two go round with tech support, they suggested backing up the database and doing a complete wipe and reinstall. The technician asked, "Who is doing the system updates?" To which I replied, "I am. I always update my systems whenever I can." He said, and I quote, "Oh don't do that! We write our server software for a particular build of the OS. We cannot guarantee it will run and be stable if you update the OS."

I've never updated the OS since and it has never failed since.

There ya go.

Bob