File lists

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Mon Jul 12 01:47:50 EDT 2010

On 07/12/2010 06:52 AM, J. Landman Gay wrote:
> Pierre Sahores wrote (re: copy/paste in Linux script editor):
>
>> It's not a Rev's script editor related problem ! To solve this, you
>> need to tune the KDE (or Gnome, etc...) desktop manager clipboard
>> (or, even quit it) to avoid keystoke problems that are locking your
>> script editor's environment.
>
> Richmond, Peter, did either of you try this?

And there I was thinking RunRev just "worked straight out of the box";
obviously expecting too much.

The 'funny' thing is that on Linux:

1. RunRev has problems picking up fonts,

1.1 problems with Unicode fonts that make them effectively useless,

2. This copy-paste situation,

3. A few more 'situations' that have slipped my mind just now.

And precious few other, admittedly, Linux 'native, apps seem to have
the same sort of problem.

I think, tomorrow, when I have a spot of free time I am going to go
back and play around with Metacard 2.5 for Linux and see whether
those problems were there, or whether they have arisen
subsequently; if the latter then, for instance, it might be not a bad
thing to revert to the old script-editor.

Hilarious bit follows.

Yesterday, wanting to help Jacque with the folder listing problem
I popped together a 'quick-n-dirty' stack on my Linux box with the
script I quoted in my posting.

Being a bit lazy I had no great desire to type the script into my
e-mail client's "write" box; so to copy-paste it I had to:

1. Turn on my Mac,

2. Transfer the stack 'over the wire' to the Mac,

3. Open the stack with RunRev on the Mac,

4. Copy-paste the script into TextWrangler,

5. Save the TextWrangler doc on the Mac,

6. Transfer the document back to the Linux box,

7. Open the document with gEdit,

8. Copy-paste the text into my e-mail client.

The whole procedure took me about twice the time it took me
to write the script in the first place . . .  :)