Teetotal RunRev

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sat Jul 10 15:17:54 EDT 2010

On 07/10/2010 07:10 PM, Pierre Sahores wrote:
> Hello Richmond,
>
> Try VirtualBox instead. A great tool !
>
> <http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads>

Thank you Pierre for your suggestion.

I have, previously, played around with VirtualBox.

However; the very, very few Windows programs I 'need' to use
work extremely well with WINE (currently Appleworks 6
and Axalias Icon Studio).

VirtualBox is unable to run Windows software without the
end-user owning an install disc for whichever variant of
Windows they wish to use.

I was hoping that WINE could run the Windows version
of my FREE Devawriter as a way of empowering people
who don't have the wherewithall to buy a Windows disk.

AND, if one has a Windows disk one might just as well
run my software on a Windows partition of the computer;
which rather sidesteps the whole problem.

Having seen how Windows (apart from the initial purchase
of an install disk) continues to 'cost' in terms of monthly
payments for anti-virus software, and in terms of time
lost owing to virus problems, I would not recommend
anyone use Windows anyway.

Friends and colleagues over here who are compelled to
use Windows (as professional software they require is
only available for Windows) estimate that each machine costs
$50 a month in terms of anti-virus stuff, as well as about
1-3 man hours per week because of associated problems.

Those who use Linux reckon a machine costs about $5
a month with no man-hours lost.