Intelligent sorting: NEW WINNER Dick Kriesel

Dick Kriesel dick.kriesel at mail.com
Thu Jul 8 17:21:24 EDT 2010

Thanks, Hugh.  In case anyone wants to see the sample data, here it is:

a 10 a 10 a 10
a 10 a 10 a 9
a 10 a 10 a
a 10 a 9 a
a 10 a 10
a 10 a 9
a 10 a
a 9 a
a 10
a 9
10
9
a10a10a10
a10a10a9
a10a10a
a10a9a
a10a10
a10a9
a10a
a9a
a10
a9

And here it is after sorting:

9
10
a9
a9a
a10
a10a
a10a9
a10a9a
a10a10
a10a10a
a10a10a9
a10a10a10
a 9
a 9 a
a 10
a 10 a
a 10 a 9
a 10 a 9 a
a 10 a 10
a 10 a 10 a
a 10 a 10 a 9
a 10 a 10 a 10

Incidentally, the "sortMe" function Hugh posted is not part of the solution;
it's just a demonstration of one way to use the solution.

-- Dick