Intelligent sorting: A bit of a poser NEW WINNER

Michael Kann mikekann at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 2 23:10:06 EDT 2010

Dick,
Good catch on sorting the lines that look like this:

apples  2c
apples  2b
apples  2a

Without testing, I think the solution is to do an alphabetical sort on the suffixes before doing a numerical sort on them. I've added a line to the script that might make it work.

Mike

-- Corrected script
on mouseUp
put fld 1 into v -- original data
set the itemDel to "*"

repeat with k = 0 to 9
  replace k with "*"&k in v
end repeat

repeat for each line k in v
  replace "*" with "" in item 2 to -1 of k
  put k & cr after h
end repeat
delete last char of h
---- Add the following line