Saving Changes in a Standalone

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Jul 1 22:16:47 EDT 2010

Gregory Lypny wrote:

 > I suspect this has come up before.  I just built a standalone
 > version of a stack that allows users to import data into fields.
 > Custom props are set during a user's session and various other
 > changes occur.  I have the following save handler in the stack
 > script, but when I quit the standalone and reopen it, none of
 > the changes has been kept!
 >
 > on closeStack
 > save this stack
 > end closeStack
 >
 > What am I doing wrong?

As the others have noted, you're fine and Rev's fine, it's just that
OSes don't let executables modify themselves.

This comes up often enough that Sarah Reichelt wrote a wonderful
contribution to revJournal.com on the subject, outlining strategies for
saving data outside the executable:

Saving data in Revolution standalones
<http://www.revjournal.com/tutorials/saving_data_in_revolution.html>

--