Saving Changes in a Standalone

Bob Sneidar bobs at twft.com
Thu Jul 1 17:59:01 EDT 2010

Nope. Nothing can modify a compiled app, and you main app becomes part of the application. Nothing gets saved.

There are a couple approaches to this:
1. Have you main stack be an "application loading" splash stack of some kind, then hide it and load an included stack that is your REAL application.

2. Treat all objects in your application as a form, and read data in and out of a data file or database with an initialization routine when the app launches. I would make a backup of the data file before writing back to it in an open app, or have a defaults data file where if you encounter corruption you can restore defaults, or both!

"Why the heck is it like this??" you say? There was a time when you could distribute a runtime engine which would launch your stacks, and so didn't have to compile to an executable if you didn't want to. Your stacks would have run just fine using a runtime engine. That isn't the case anymore, at least to my knowledge. I think the IDE is still set up the way it is today because it really hasn't caught up with the whole "compile to app" notion of doing things so we work around the little issues. You just have to think about all this when designing your app from the start, otherwise you kind of have to go back and rethink some things.

Bob