Linux deployment . . .

Bernard Devlin bdrunrev at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 03:18:42 EST 2010

I really hate myself for what I'm about to say....

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 5:46 AM, Bill Vlahos <bvlahos at mac.com> wrote:
> WinMobile is dead

I'm going to seem like I enjoy being cussed.  I've hated Microsoft for
as long as I can remember (because of their attempts to kill all
competition).  Since OS X 10.1 I deliberately bought, supported and
recommended Apple to all and sundry, just to do my bit to keep the
competition alive.  Among people I know, that's what they buy and what
they recommend to others, so I had my small degree of success.

However, when it came to buying a mobile phone a couple of years ago I
could not bring myself to buy an iPhone.  Instead I bought a Windows
Mobile phone.  I have been very impressed with it (maybe that's
because I had such low expectations from MS).  But I've not one OS
crash in all those years (wish I could say the same for Vista).  I
have only had to reset it twice.  And I never switch it off.  That's
pretty impressive.

Then there's the range of apps I could get for it - there's nothing I
wanted that I couldn't find.  It provides tethering out of the box.

I used to think the most impressive thing MS ever did was the move
from Windows 95 to NT.  But Windows Mobile also ranks as one of the
few things they've done that impressed me.  Compared to the Symbian
phones I've used, Windows Mobile is out in front.  Admittedly it is a
HTC phone, and they do 'skin' it to some degree and add some of their
own UI features.  I might be a bit less impressed without that
tweaking.

I'm going to be getting a Maemo phone next though.  I expect great
things from that too.

Bernard