Linux deployment . . .

Pierre Sahores psahores at free.fr
Thu Jan 28 20:12:51 EST 2010

Sarah,

I never used Rev under the Linux platform to code desktop GUI apps and
can't say more on this subject.

On the other hand, i had to deliver abour 20 production web / ria
application's servers over the last 15 years and, appart one deployed
under OS X 10.3.9 and two under Solaris 9 and 10, all went deployed on
top of MC or Rev under Suse, Debian, Red Hat or Linux PPC distros.
What i learned there is that a POSIX compliant MC / Rev engine is the
onest that can be linked (via an external socket listener-translator -
writable in any langage supported as an Apache module) to Apache, SQL
db, Streaming servers, etc... as an xinetd protected process.

No ways to get the same config up under the Windows nor OS X server
platforms without big improvments of the rev engine for thoses
platforms and if RunRev want to gohead with the irev tech, it will be
very difficult without choosing a POSIX platform as the most usable
one of the revServer deployment.

No sure that the multiplatform support of the revServer is the best
way to get a rock-solid version of it. I would be more confident if a
realistic choice could be done in about this part of the RunRev
projects (POSIX compliant server engine first, Linux or BSD prefered
there lots before Solaris, always less reactive on low cost hardware
configs and yet owned by Oracle....).

So, in short : iRev will probably never become a real PHP, Perl,
Python or Ruby challenger if it's not mainly developped and targeted
to the Linux platform, with secondary ports to the OSX and Windows
platform, if possible.

But perhaps is that all not so important for most of the Rev customers
and only RunRev knows about the strategic gates they will choose to go
with.

Regards,

--
Pierre Sahores