Windows title reduced to a single character

Sarah Reichelt sarah.reichelt at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 18:59:36 EST 2010

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 8:37 PM, Scott Rossi <scott at tactilemedia.com> wrote:
> Recently, Sarah Reichelt wrote:
>
>> Has anyone managed to find a work-around to the problem with a stack's
>> title being reduced to a single character under Windows, if there is a
>> player on the card? This is proving a real blocker for me at the
>> moment, despite several bug reports, one of which says it was fixed in
>> Rev 3.0. I'm using Rev 4.0 and a pre-release of Rev 4.5 and it's still
>> happening there. So far the only solution I have found is to build the
>> app using Rev 2.8 which seems a bit ridiculous and causes other
>> problems.
>
> Sarah, I was never able to find a workaround for this.  I was able to get
> past it by using a custom titlebar (this was by design for the project, so
> it worked out OK) but this is by no means a solution.
>
> The one hack that was proposed which seemed to have some merit was to
> display the video in a separate decoration-less palette stack at the
> intended player location above the main stack.  I believe on Windows the
> moveStack message is sent while dragging a standard window, so you could
> account for users dragging the main stack and reposition the video stack
> simultaneously.  Of course, minimizing the main stack will present some
> challenges.   Had I needed to deliver my app with standard system
> decorations, I probably would have gone this route.
>
> I haven't had a chance to play with Rev 4.5 but if the title issue is still
> present, I fully agree that this a major issue and needs to be dealt with
> ASAP.  I don't see how anyone can take an app seriously that can't even
> display its own name properly.

Thanks Scott.

The player is actually just a music player and it is off-screen, so
maybe I will be able to move it into an invisible sub-stack.

And yes, I can confirm that the issue definitely still exists in Rev
4.5.0-dp-1 at least under Windows XP. This app that I am working on
cannot be released for Windows in it's current state. It may be only
cosmetic, but it looks very bad.

Cheers,
Sarah