Vista/Win7 priveleges

Joe F. joef1 at mac.com
Tue Jan 26 01:07:55 EST 2010

I just had to deal with something like this in a standalone I created
for a guy running it in Vista.

Apparently there's a difference depending on where the app is
installed. I put mine in Program Files on his c drive.
Even though he's the only user on the computer and has admin
privileges, my Rev app wasn't writing text files to disk in its own
directory.

No error, nothing to indicate it wasn't working.

The fix was to right click my app and set its properties to "run as
administrator".
Evidently, even though he has admin permissions, an app he launches
has to be specifically set to run as administrator in order to write
to a file outside his own Documents folder.

I was lucky to find the solution pretty quickly and thus didn't have
to study it very much; so there may be (probably is) a lot more to it
than that. But it worked, and I was happy.

Joe F.