Vista/Win7 priveleges

Jim Bufalini jim at visitrieve.com
Fri Jan 22 15:47:53 EST 2010

Jacque wrote:

> My client wants that auto-run checkbox because his customer base
> is largely computer illiterate. Many don't know how to start an app
> without it.
>
> (Makes me wish you had to get some kind of license to run a computer.)

Well, if they are that illiterate, you may want to consider starting your
splash screen (if on Vista) with a message that says something to the effect
of, *Please click "Allow" for any permissions your computer may request.*
Because if they click Deny, your program will never run on that computer
until it is removed from the blocked list. And, if they don't know how to
run a program, they certainly won't know how to do this.

When I say Vista blocks the program from running, it actually lets the
program load. But, before the program can "do" anything like access the
local hard drives, the dialog is presented. Also, let's say your program
does attempt to access the Internet or ports at some point, there could be a
second dialog presented.

So, for example, in one app I have, I do exactly this. When the program
first launches, I throw up a splash message telling them to click Allow to
any requests and then write a little text file and then make an unnecessary
and arbitrary request to the Internet. These two actions are just to "force"
any possible dialogs from Vista. When I get past the Internet request, I
take down the message. ;-)

Aloha from Hawaii,

Jim Bufalini