Geometry manager

Bob Sneidar bobs at twft.com
Wed Jan 20 17:37:33 EST 2010

Just to weigh in, the fact that people can write their own scripts to do this should be some indication that a geometry manager CAN work for most things. Off the top of my head, it seems you would want to set and track the following things:

minimum object size (per object)
maximum object size (per object)
relative size and position (to card or other object, per object)
specific properties of an object should be capable of being relative to another property of another object (for instance the top of field "a" 5 pixels below the bottom of field "b")
exact position (to card or to other object)
effect on contents (do text and labels and graphics grow within the object?)

Every object should have a prior position property set so that any time the size or position of an object changes, you can revert. Also, wouldn't it be cool if you could make each object's size and position relative to another object instead of the whole card? That way you could have an anchor object and make every other object relative to that one, or have a cascade effect where each object's size and or position is relative to another's by a percent or by an exact number of pixels.

That's just my "gee this seems easy" way of seeing it, and obviously it's more complicated than  that. But I think that the reason the geometry manager seems inadequate is because size and position of each object is relative only to the card and not to other objects.

Anyone who has worked with old dBase code that created forms by code know the problems here. Remember "SAY" and "GET"? EEEK!

Bob