Rev on kde

Bernard Devlin bdrunrev at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 07:13:25 EST 2010

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 11:13 AM, Peter Alcibiades
<palcibiades-first at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> That too.  Also virtual desktops don't work, revBrowser not available,
> revPrintField doesn't work, no player for Linux, lots of the functionality
> seems to be increasingly provided by add-ins from the group which work only
> on Windows or Mac.  As for instance tRev.

I know you are not singling out tRev, but just using it as an example.
 But maybe the third parties who are restricting themselves to
supporting Windows/OS X are doing this precisely because there are so
many problems with Rev on Linux.  I have an overwhelming desire to use
Linux as my desktop, and have been amazed by the high quality of
modern day Linux when I've used it as a desktop in the last 18 months.
 I've sometimes gone for months on end using nothing but Linux.  And
the only reason I've been able to do that is because those were months
when I didn't use Rev.  As soon as I need to use Rev, I've struggled
with it on Linux for days, then given up and gone back to using Rev on
Windows or OS X.

> What Rev needs to do is get Linux up to full parity.  Its the last 15% that
> needs doing.  It can't make any sense to restrict the market to people like
> us, but that's the effect of what's happening.  Till its done this, all
> other platforms have to go.

I agree entirely.  It is amazing that a product that claims to work
cross-platform should have major features missing in the final third
platform.  There is NO reason why RunRev cannot provide revBrowser on
Linux.  Even if a Linux distro did not have Firefox set as the default
browser, it is only a click away in a repository.

I deliberately decided not to buy the megabundle in the recent offer,
because I'm so cheesed off by the quality of Rev on Linux.  After
(literally) buying into Rev for years on the prospect that they would
one day offer a suite of tools for Linux application development that
matched what they provided on Windows/OS X, I decided that they will
not get any more money from me until I see them take Linux seriously.

Bernard