BSD and HP9K700 standalones . . . ?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Jan 18 15:27:11 EST 2010

Lynn Fredricks wrote:

> For those who know what Im talking about - remember.. mTropolis? ;-)

What I remember about mTropolis was that at the trade shows they acted
like debutantes fresh out of finishing school:  at $5,000 a license,
they gave a quick look at your watch and your shoes before deciding
whether you were worth talking to. ;)

That unique customer service approach came back to haunt them later: by
the time they dropped the price by about 75% the following year, they'd
already turned off so many people to their company that I knew very few
who bothered looking at it.

For those unfamiliar with mTropolis, the saga of their demise is
described in this Salon article:
<http://archive.salon.com/21st/feature/1998/06/10feature.html>

They also discovered a common failing of many visual authoring systems,
as noted in <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MTropolis>:

    One criticism of the tool was that the integrated programming
    language, Miniscript, was lacking key features necessary for
    common tasks. Because mTropolis was conceived around a visual
    programming metaphor, mFactory engineers intentionally omitted
    control constructs such as conditional loops.

Bill Appleton ran into the same thing after he made CourseBuilder, which
was part of his motivation for creating SuperCard.  As he put it in an
interview I did with him back in '89, "Visual systems are great for
simple things, but once you get to a certain level of complexity they
just break down, they're just not as expressive as scripting."

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World