Normal video DVD's with Rev applications on them?

David Bovill david.bovill at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 13:28:35 EST 2010

Thanks all - seems unproblematic then? I'm a little worried that I'll break
compatibility with plain old DVD players. I'm a little intrigued by this, as
something doesn't stack up - which is why I assumed there would be a problem
doing this with DVD's.

Where does this argument go wrong:

   1. It is straight forward to author (Rev) apps, that sit on a DVD in such
   a way that the DVD plays normally on a DVD player and the app auto-boots
   when inserted into a PC / laptop.
   2. The (Rev) app can offer additional interactivity / games / features to
   the plain DVD adding value to the DVD
   3. Rev apps could offer cross-platform interactive video
   4. There are quite a number of videos / documentaries that don't take up
   the full DVD disk space - leaving room for H264 encoded interactive video
   applications
   5. Consumers would benefit from the additional features. Publishers could
   create apps that easkily build communities around the DVD.
   6. There should be quite a few of these hybrid beasts out there...

but there aren't? Which makes me think there is a compatibility problem
doing this?