Rev on kde

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 12:31:07 EST 2010

On 18/01/2010 19:18, Richard Gaskin wrote:
> Malte wrote:
>> When testing a rather complex app (50 Stacks, huge amounts of XML
>> data being processed)
>> under Kubuntu on a very decent machine (actually I got a bit jealous
>> of what is under the hood
>> there):
>>
>> Performance is rather slow. Especially screen refreshes. Drag and
>> Drop is
>> not working very well (if at all). Everything that uses inks, slows
>> down performance
>> terribly. This is with engine 3.x and up
>>
>> Scrollbars (progress bars) are not rendered correctly. Only tested
>> with 3.5
>>
>> Everything is a little better when using Ubuntu without a k, however
>> performance
>> is far from what I am used to under MacOs or Win.
>>
>> I am not complaining. I understand it is a tremendous task to support
>> an Os the
>> end user has as much control about as all the Oses they call "Linux"
>> are. You can make
>> it be a tame penguin, or a 7 headed Hydra (it lost 2 heads, when it
>> tried to install its
>> graphics card), with lions teeth (one of them carious, but sharp
>> anyways), bears claws
>> and penguin feet.
>>
>> Just wanted to share what I have seen.
>
> Good info.  I'm assuming this is logged in the RQCC?
>
> I appreciate the business case behind RunRev's priorities placing Win
> and Mac support above Linux, but I also think that for the long term
> investment in Linux is a good bet.
>
> There are many challenges in seeing Linux adoption on the desktop
> approach the lofty goal of 10%, but none of them are technical.  From
> an engineering standpoint the OS is a darn fine one; the only issues
> inhibiting adoption are usability and evangelism, which can be worked
> out in reasonable time.
>
> While 10% may seem unrealistic to some right now, I think in the five-
> to ten-year time frame that may actually be low. It's a rock-solid
> contender available at the unbeatable price of free.  What's not to love?
>
> I just hope its adoption grows fast enough to push RunRev Ltd. toward
> more investment sooner rather than later.  Ubuntu Linux is my
> second-favorite OS ever, and their Netbook Remix Edition has been a
> beautiful enhancement to my EeePC. :)
>
> Even in the here-and-now, there may be opportunities where Linux is
> disproportionately represented among groups who could make better use
> of a tool like Rev than most, such as education.
>
> --
>  Richard Gaskin

This thread should change its name to 'Rev on Linux'; while KDE may look
more "Windowzy" out of the
box, GNOME can be tweaked around to look like almost anything (on my
Ubuntu Test machine it has
been made to closely resemble Mac OS X - because that's what makes me
feel comfortable). After the
German and French government warning about Internet Explorer people may,
eventually wake up to
what a second class set of products Microsoft sells.

Setting up Ubuntu is extremely easy and is not really any more difficult
to use than Windows or Mac to the
end user owing to the WIMP convergence of their desktops.

NOW it is entirely possible to couple RunRev with a host of high
standard open source programs to
produce all sorts of media rich solutions that were only conceivable a
few years ago with a
significant investment in commercial software. The fact that open source
offerings such as GIMP, Inkscape
and Audacity, while having Windows and Mac versions, started life on
Linux (and as a result sit
very easily there) should give one pause for thought.