AnimationEngine Arcade "shooter" strategy?

John Patten johnpatten at mac.com
Thu Jan 14 16:23:21 EST 2010

Hi All...

Trying to come up with a "simple" arcade shooter type game.  I'm using
Animation Engine. I would like to be able to aim a cannon (button that
switches icon based on the FindAngle of canon and mouseLoc)  at a
moving target (img) and then check for collision between projectile
and target.

1. I can animate the canon rotation with FindAngle, however will
probably need to rename images so direction of cannon matches angle
returned.

2. I (think) understand the AE collision too..

3. What I'm having trouble with is understanding how to animate and
direct the projectile, based on the direction of the canon. So many of
the AE examples are based on a path, that I assume I will need to
create a path, line (invisible),  between the canon and the proposed
target. Creating the first point of that line is pretty straight
forward, however, determining the angle of the canon's muzzle (canons
have muzzles?) and the complimentary angle of the line and the
intended target, a point farther down the line, feels way beyond my
skills.

Would it be wise to have the user drag a marker, something like a
"cross-hair" image, to a screen location to represent the user's
proposed aim, and then get the loc of the cross hair image and then
the loc of the cannon to create the line path? Or are their better
ways of doing what I'm trying?

Thank you!

John Patten