Rev on kde

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 15:05:54 EST 2010

On 14/01/2010 21:37, Hershel Fisch wrote:

>> Why would you want to run a Windows standalone under WINE on Linux when
>> it is perfectly possible to make a Linux standalone?
>>
> Its FreeBSD not Linux.

Ok, I'm sorry.

Looked at the standalone builder for RR 4 on Mac and it only offers
Linux (with 2 other options oddly greyed out)
apart from Mac and Windows.

However just cracked out RR 2.0.1 (Back to the Michael J. Fox) and see
that the standalone builder offers
BSD.

Now I was even poorer than I am at present before I got hold of RR 4,
so, honestly cannot recall at what version
RunRev stopped offering a BSD standalone option.

Now might be the time to start making "noises" about that option having
been dropped . . .

These options have been dropped, somewhere along the road:

BSD
HP-UX
Iris
RS/6000
SPARC Solaris
SPARC
Solaris
Mac OS fat
Mac OS PPC
Mac OS 68  (last 3 are for Mac systems 7 to 9)
(Alternatively you could "get hold of" RunRev 2.0.1 - last free limited
version - and, if your stack is
fairly 'primitive' - i.e. doesn't use anything post 2.0.1 - use that to
pump out a BSD standalone).

Solaris Intel   and
Solaris SPA   are greyed out in both my Mac and my Linux versions of RR
Studio
(maybe they are possible from Enterprise).
>> Sorry for asking what seems to me a blazingly obvious question . . . but!

Yup, the question should have been pointed at RunRev and should have
gone like this:

"I thought you supported all sorts of platforms which you seem to have
quietly dropped
without bothering to tell us that?"

As an EFL teacher I love 'Compare and Contrast' exercises, here's one:

Compare:

"Revolution is a leading software development solution for all major
platforms, including Mac OS X, Windows, Linux and many more."

[ http://web.archive.org/web/20021124092402/http://runrev.com/ ]

with:

"Flexible platform creates applications that run on the Web, desktop or
server, for the PC, Mac or Linux."

[ http://www.runrev.com/products/the-rev-platform/overview/ ]

No Cambridge Proficiency Certificates for spotting the difference there!

Now the funny thing is that a few years ago there was a lot of talk
about how RunRev were planning
to reach out to an increasing number of platforms / Operating systems
(I'm waiting for RISC OS);
but what I see is quite the reverse.

Probably a money thing . . .   :)