Rev + PNG Display on OS X 10.6

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Thu Jan 14 13:27:54 EST 2010

This might be useful for folks delivering image-heavy apps on Mac OS X 10.6
and later...

Apparently with Snow Leopard, Apple has changed the default gamma of the
system to 2.2 (used to be 1.8).

<http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2009/09/why_your_web_content_will_look_darker.
html>

I was recently throwing some PNG images on a card on Rev that looked
significantly darker than where they were created (in Photoshop), and for
the life of me could not figure out why.  I'm still searching for a reliable
way to strip the gamma information from PNG images, but after finding the
above article, I tried changing the screenGamma in Rev to 2.2 and amazingly
(or maybe expectedly) the image seems to display properly.

 set the screenGamma to 2.2

I need to do some more testing, but it appears that when delivering apps on
Snow Leopard that make heavy use of PNGs, one will need to do something to
the effect of:

 if "mac" is in platform() and systemVersion() > 10.5 then ...

Also used the following method to force refresh the display of the image:

 set text of img 1 to text of img 1

Hope this saves some head banging for other folks using images.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, UX Design