Simple Arrays

Michael Kann mikekann at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 10 11:55:12 EST 2010

While trying to rassle these arrays to the ground I tried to transpose one. The following script doesn't work. Can anyone see why? (Need some fresh eyes).
------------------------------
on mouseUp

put  1 into myArray[1][1]
put  2 into myArray[1][2]
put  3 into myArray[2][1]
put  4 into myArray[2][2]
put myArray[2][1] into fld 1 -- works til here

put transpose(myArray) into yourArray -- causes problem
put yourArray[2][1] into fld 2

end mouseUp
-------------------
From the dictionary:

The array is a two-dimensional array variable whose elements are
numbers, and whose keys are sequential numbers.

It seems like the constraints have been met. In the above examples I assume the "elements" would be 1,2,3,4 ? Why would the elements be restricted to numbers? All we are doing is switching the two keys.
Thomas,

 In answering the question concerning

-- the 'best' way to enter Bob's data into an array --

I think the usual concern is that you are given a set of data formatted in a certain way and then you have to shoehorn it into an array. If you want the final array to resemble an Excel spreadsheet (each piece of data gets its own row and column number) then the repeat loop I posted a few messages back would do it. We can call that the easiest way until someone posts an easier one.

-----------------------
Here's the code for populating an array:

-----------------------
-- as an example, put your 4 lines into fld 1
-----------------------
1,A,Green
2,B,Blue
3,C,Orange
4,D,White
-----------------------
-- to get those 4 lines into a multi-dimensional
-- array called myArray I think you need code
-- like below (which you already know)
-- There might be an easier way.
-----------------------
on mouseUp
put fld 1 into v
set itemDelimiter to comma
put zero into countLine
repeat for each line curLine in v
    add 1 to countLine
    put zero into countItem
        repeat for each item curItem in curLine
            add 1 to countItem
            put curItem into myArray[countLine][countItem]
      end repeat
end repeat
put myArray[1][2] into fld 2
end mouseUp