Oracle buyout of Sun and it's affects on mySQL

Ruslan Zasukhin ruslan_zasukhin at valentina-db.com
Mon Jan 4 13:45:25 EST 2010

On 1/4/10 7:51 PM, "Bob Sneidar" <bobs at twft.com> wrote:

Hi Bob,

Well, this is wave of cry raised by author of mySQL some weeks ago.
You can find site with his letter on few languages.
And you can read comments of people to him on this.

Many people say that they support him,
But exists IMO adequate comments which point something like this:

    Hey man, you have SOLD your baby for billion of cache to Sun.
    This means you have loose control over it.
    Do not try now return control back. This is not fair game.

Actually I have predict and told to everyone that Oracle have started game
against mySQL yet in 2005. First step was purchase of InnoDB engine.

> Has anyone heard about this proposed acquisition of Sun by Oracle? I got an
> email from monty at helpmysql.org wanting me to "sign" some petition to help keep
> mySQL open source. I'm not sure if this guy is crying Wolf, or if this is a
> real issue. Also, since On-rev uses mySQL, I want to ensure we are not going
> to get pinged for future licensing, if I develop solutions and host them on
> on-rev.

My prediction to you is:
    mySQL future is in dark.
    they self have start become very greedy and aggressive.

--
Best regards,

Ruslan Zasukhin
VP Engineering and New Technology