[OT] Text on a curve

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sun Jan 3 09:49:52 EST 2010

Having a limited budget (i.e. cannot afford Adobe Illustrator) and having
got bogged-down with Inkscape I have
been searching for el-cheapo solution to text on a curve.

Anybody who has seen my Devawriter is going to be singularly unimpressed
with the bitmapped, jaggy-edged
title . . . but, hey, what do you expect if all I have to do that sort of
thing is LightScribe Labeller !!! ?

So, over here in England and Dad was looking for a way to do Venn diagrams
with coloured, semi-transparent
fills, and I suddenly remembered that I had downloaded Microsoft Expression
a while back and had glanced at it
and quickly forgotten about it: BIG MISTAKE . . .

http://www.microsoft.com/expression/expression-design/Default.aspx

[Yes, I am going against the grain and recommending a Microsoft product -
but mainly because it isn't really
a Microsoft product; Microsoft bought the product and then released it for
FREE; funny really, but there you
go.]

It is available for Windows (well, it works on Dad's XP laptop - dunno about
Vista and 7), Mac OS X (PPC -
but suppose it will function with Rosetta - prob. not under 10.6) - works
well at home under 10.5 and 10.4,
working OK here on first edition G3 iMac on 10.3, and Mac OS 8 and 9.

Very serviceable, FREE Vector Graphics program with a lot of levels of UNDO.

It saves in its own format and to Illustrator and EPS; under 'save as
Bitmap' it can export to JPG, PNG
and so forth.

The only slight snag is that it exports the whole 'page', so if your image
is smaller than that you
have to crop it in GIMP or somesuch.