Strange behaviour of arrowkey handler

Zarpa Iracunda zarpairacunda at yahoo.de
Fri Jan 1 10:28:49 EST 2010

Hi all,

happy new year to all of you!

My new year started with some confusion, which I am sure one of you can help me with.

I have a data grid group, which should do something when the user changes the selected line using an arrow key. I have put the following handler into the group script:

on arrowKey tkey
   local tdata
   local mykey
   put tkey into mykey
   answer "the key was " & mykey with "Ok!" titled "Arrow Key"
   if ( ( mykey is "down" ) or ( mykey is "up"  ) ) then
      put the dgdata[the dgline of group "procdg"] of group "procdg" into tdata
      answer tdata["id"] with "Ok!" titled "selected process"
   end if
   pass arrowKey
end arrowKey

It does throw the first answer, displaying the correct key value. Unfortunately, it does not evaluate the if clause. The second "answer" is never fired.

Can anybody point me into the direction of the mistake I made?

Many thanx!

Zarpa