[semi-OT]simulating onSubmit in post

Martin Baxter mb.userev at harbourhosting.co.uk
Wed Feb 24 04:39:17 EST 2010

Hi Devin,

In the url instanced below, unless I'm misunderstanding what you are
trying to do, if you make a properly formed POST direct to
someurl.htm?loadpage, direct from a script or a stack for instance, the
onSubmit event in the html form is almost certainly irrelevant, because
it is only triggered in the browser when the user clicks the submit
element, and wouldn't apply in other cases.

Have you experienced some issue that makes you think it is relevant?

javascript validation can stop the form data being POSTed by the browser
if something is wrong with user input or whatever, but you would bypass
that by POSTing directly to the action url.

Javascript pre-validation can manipulate the form data or perhaps set
headers before it allows the POST action, and that might conceivably be
relevant to it being accepted as valid by the action url. But it isn't
very likely and in any case you should be able to figure the details out
by reading the javascript to see what happens.

Any serious validation will invariably be done by the script the data is
POSTed *to* (the action url), unless the author is naive. Javascript
validation (pre-validation) is really only useful for catching obvious
data entry errors for purposes of user-friendliness.

Martin Baxter

--
I am Not a Number, I am a free NaN